Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Monday, October 23, 2006

The Wedding (pictures tomorrow)


It went quite well actually. I’ll divide this up in parts so I don’t forget anything:

1 – The ceremony
The ceremony was beautiful. It started a little late if you ask me. 5.30 pm in late October is practically dark and with the rainy weather and all… well, it should’ve started an hour earlier. Anyway, they looked really happy; the priest, who knows my SIL since she was a kid, said some beautiful things and even spoke directly to my niece for a few minutes, which was really nice.
Mariana (my niece) wanted to sit with her mom the whole time and when she asked her to sit with grandma for a while she stared crying. Poor kid, it must be confusing for her. But then she had to read a prayer right after the vows and she couldn’t reach the speaker and P got up and went to lift her up … it was really sweet of him and I think it made her feel better.

2 – The outfits
SIL the bride looked great. I didn’t love the dress but it looked good on her (she’s lost some weight) and her hair and makeup were perfect. And she looked happy and that makes all the difference.
The flower girls’ dresses were ok. That’s about all I can say about them.
SIL the dentist wore black dress pants and a green top and she looked great, thank God. The SIL who got married in June was also beautiful and everyone commented on how thin and pretty she looked. SIL the nurse wore a pink pant suit she borrowed from me (again) and looked good, as always. The youngest SIL looked stunning, in a black and red dress. And me… well, my youngest BIL’s comment was “too much purple” but I’ll let you guys decide when you see the pictures.

3 – The reception
Because the ceremony was so late, and because the reception venue was a 45 minute drive, it started really late. But it went well. My in-laws were honestly happy. I guess they were relieved that this soap opera is finally over and they both smiled the whole time. Mariana was hysterical and she even cried a little when P put a little girl next to the bride and groom on top of the cake. All in all, it was a good day.

4 – The aftermath
I guess the family has been so stressed out about this wedding; it’s as if a huge weight was lifted. The last few weeks were really awkward, with everyone questioning whether P had actually moved out or not (remember, that was the deal so that he could come meet the in-laws), and Mariana throwing a tantrum every 10 minutes, and P coming over to my in-laws all the time… it was just a tough couple of weeks and it’s finally over. Things can go back to normal now.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger Timestep said…

    Sounds like a wonderful way to start a day together.

    I love that they added a little girl to the top of the cake w/ the bride and groom! After all, it is a family being married.

    Can't wait to see pictures!

     
  • At 1:30 AM, Blogger L said…

    Phew!! You all survived it, and not only that, it seems to have gone really well!! I'm happy for you and your SIL. Can't wait to see the pictures.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home