Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Monday, September 04, 2006

The Wedding - Season 2, Episode V


Since my last email, M has been sleeping much better and that makes all the difference, as I knew it would. On Friday I took the day off because we had a wedding at 4 pm, so we had a nice three-day weekend to relax and enjoy what will probably be one of the last weekends of sunny summer weather.

As for The Wedding, there have been a couple of changes that have caused further tension in The Family.
First of all, my SIL says she will not be coming back home after all, but rather it’s P who’s going to move in with his uncle a month before the wedding. Obviously, the doubts about whether or not he’s actually moving out are in everyone’s mind. But thankfully my FIL decided to at least pretend he believes them and the engagement dinner is still scheduled for the 29th of this month.
The next problem is who to invite. Both of P’s parents are divorced and remarried and my FIL doesn’t want to invite any of the step parents. In his mind, P’s parents are married to each other for the rest of their lives and are, again, living in sin with their new spouses. MIL is trying to convince him to let P decide who to invite (which is obviously everyone) but it’s his house and he just feels bad about it.
Just to give you some background, ZM’s only cousin married a divorced woman 5 years ago and has 2 children with her. To this day they have never set foot in FIL’s house, and were not invited to SIL’s wedding, even though SIL is their son’s godmother.
Then there’s the problem with the invitations. Here in Portugal tradition says that when the bride’s parents pay for the wedding reception, they’re the ones whose names show up in the invitation. But P isn’t comfortable with that and wants his parents’ names to be in the invitation as well. My MIL is insisting it’s not protocol and will not give in, so the invitations have not even been printed, when it should be time to start sending them.
We haven’t even discussed the flower girls dresses anymore, but I foresee a very tense couple of months ahead…

3 Comments:

  • At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I for one will be sorry to see them married, all this entertainment shall end!

    [I went to the beach again to study bcs our flat with its vast loads of unassembled furniture and book piles everywhere was preventing me from doing anything but froth at the mouth.]

     
  • At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry, that was me, Johnny

     
  • At 3:13 AM, Blogger L said…

    Hmmm, "fun" stuff! :)

    Oh well, I hope all the stress doesn't get to you, my friend. You seem to be the peacemaker in this family anyway!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home