Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Preparing for the baby


This morning when I dropped R at school her teacher called me and told me she had been acting strange lately. Apparently she has been cranky and almost aggressive towards the other kids, she pushes them and she doesn’t want to share the toys. The teacher says this is not at all like her. I asked her if she thought this had something to do with the new baby and she said it’s very possible and that it has been happening more since my belly started showing.

I really don’t know what to do about it. I always thought that a sibling was the best thing I could give R, and I still think so. But how do I explain to her that this baby is not a threat to her? How do I prepare her?
In a way I am glad she is having these reactions now, when I still have plenty of time to work with her and prepare her before the baby is actually here. It hurts me to see my baby hurting, to feel that she’s insecure and confused. I wish I could protect her from all these feelings but I know I can’t. This is part of her growing up and I can’t do it for her.

So, those of you with more than one child, how did you prepare your older child/children for the new baby? Any tips?

2 Comments:

  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    I don't have any kids, so take this with a lot of salt! (However, my partner and I both teach young children.) Some things you can do are to talk about how she will be very important once the baby is here (helping you take care of the baby, showing the baby how to do things, etc.); reading books about babies and siblings; and giving her dolls to play and practice with. The two most important things, I think, though, are simple: tell her you love her and that just like she loves both you and her dad, you'll love her and the baby and ask her what she's thinking. even as young as she is. It won't always be smooth; she will have some adjusting to do, but she'll get through it and so will you. Good luck!

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger Lioness said…

    Oof, not sure I can help. Maybe telling her she'll be the big sister and that is a Very Big Thing, as Pooh would say?

    Read the comments, am going in the right direction. She's a tough kid w a family that are crazy abt her, she'll be all right. It will be mad for a while but I'm sure she will be fine eventually.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home