Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Life with a two year old


R has pink eye. I had thought her eye looked suspicious yesterday and this morning it was clearly infected. She had this once when she was 6 months old so I went looking for the eye-drops I used back then and I put some on both her eyes, just in case. I really hope she gets better soon because the teacher told me she will not be allowed to come to school tomorrow if it's not better. Oh, the joys of motherhood.

Yesterday I got her progress report from her teacher. They basically have a series of things a child between 24-36 months can usually do or, divided between gross-motor skills, fine-motor skills, cognitive skills, communication and socialbehaviorr. They then tick the "yes", "no" or "learning" box in front of each action. She got "yes" at everything except uses verbs in the present, which she is "learning" (basically, she still says "R wants" instead of "I want" sometimes, except it's a bit more complicated in Portuguese) and plays dressing up as a grown up, in which she got a "no". This one is clearly my fault because I never gave her any of my clothes to play with. Do you think I am irreparably harming my child? No, I didn't think so either.

Yesterday we had dinner at my parents and my mom was giving her chocolate ice-cream for dessert. At one point, my dad thought she had had enough and told my mom not to give her any more. R turns to him looking appalled and says "Oh, for the love of God!!" My dad laughed so hard I though he was going to have a heart attack. And then he let her have all the ice-cream left.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Martha said…

    LOL.... Now that is Funny! It cracks me up the things Alex says sometimes!! Their humor is soo funny right now!

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Boiker said…

    R is so cute! LOL!

    It sounds like she is doing very well at school. Way to go!

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger Lioness said…

    "Oh pelo amor de Deus"??? She's hysterical!

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger Ana said…

    J, yes that's what she said! Hysterical isn't she?

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    I *love* it! Times like that you wish you could get on video, don't you? Enjoy!

     
  • At 2:35 AM, Blogger Kristin said…

    She would get alond so well with my 4 year old. One evening I was purposely being irritating and he looked at me and told me "Stop it mommy. You're annoying the living crap out of me."

    Welcome back from vacation!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home