Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Monday, May 23, 2005

And this is only the beginning


I had a not so pleasant conversation with my sister on Saturday. Apparently she thinks I've been having a very irresponsible attitude towards this pregnancy. She thinks I shouldn't have gone to the States and she thinks I'm crazy to even consider going to Brazil at 25 weeks. I asked her what the difference was between going to the beach here and going to the beach in Brazil. Because, you see, that is what I'll do in Brazil, go to the beach and rest. But she says all traveling is exhausting and I should just stay home.
Oh and, walking R to school and then walking to work everyday, and again at lunch time and after work!? I must be insane, that's about 1 hour a day!! Never mind that our OB thinks it's great exercise, I must be totally out of my mind!

I must say I wasn't expecting this kind of attitude from my sister. If she is this stressed out about pregnancy I can imagine how she'll be about the baby. I'm starting to wonder if it is such a good idea for us to spend our maternity leave together. Not that there's much I can do about it now.

I'm at 17 weeks and 3 days now and I'm finally showing. However, my maternity clothes (which I wore about 4 times) are still too big, there's clearly too much fabric and they make me look funny. So for now I'm still keeping pretty much with my regular clothes and bella band.
The baby is moving a lot lately and Zé Maria felt him last night. That is so reassuring, to know everyday that he's still alive.
Oh, and I gained 5 pounds already. And I gained all of that in past 3 weeks which means my OB is not going to be happy on Wednesday.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    Glad things are going well! Try to let your sister's stuff just slide on by. (Easier said than done, I know!)

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger K|nneret said…

    Hey, if all you've gained is five lbs, I'm laughing from way over here :)

    Ultimately, you need to do what YOU think is right and as long as there is no medical reason for you not to travel - well, there you go.

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger Martha said…

    Hugs Ana, fighting with your sister/best friend is never easy. I am sure it is hard for her as you are the "experienced" 2nd time Mom who has been through it all. Remember how crazy we all were with our first? Recall all the things we SWORE we weren't going to do but are now doing?
    Also, she is clearly worried about you after watching all of your Highs and holding your hand through the lows. You need to trust your heart and your body. You know what's best.

    As for the 5lbs in almost 18 weeks? Thats Incredible!!!

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger Lioness said…

    Well, once her baby is here she'll be so absolutely knackered she won't have time to pearl-wisdom you, so just smile smugly. No?

    I think Brazil is an absolutely fabulous idea and just what you need, sun and rest and people to wait on you at all times. *sigh* Hide me in your baggage please!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home