Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Isn't it ironic?


A good friend of my sisters has had a hard time with infertility. She got married the year before I did and started trying right away. By the time I got pregnant with R she had been trying for one year and a half and it was pretty clear that she was getting desperate. My sister says she was devastated when she told her I was pregnant and I could see she looked at me different from that moment on. She had that sad look that most fertiles don’t even see. But I saw it and I never talked about my pregnancy with her and I never sent her pictures of R (my sister eventually did because she specifically asked her to) and I prayed that she would get pregnant.
She finally tried IVF and got pregnant with twins. I’m not sure if it was her first IVF and she never talked about it so we didn’t ask. I know she transferred 3 embryos and got pregnant with a boy and a girl, who were born last fall.

A few weeks ago she realized her period was missing and she took provera to force it to come. When it didn’t work she went in for an ultrasound and they found out she is pregnant again. I guess the thought of using birth control didn’t even cross her mind.
She’s scared of course, because the babies are so young, but at the same time, how can she not be happy and grateful? I can imagine the things that are going through her mind right now. Is she entitled to be even the least bit set aback by this news? Is she allowed to complain that this wasn’t the perfect timing? Of course she is, and it’s our place as friends to listen to her worries and complains and to celebrate when she’s ready.
But God can be one ironic *** can’t He?

2 Comments:

  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger Martha said…

    WOW.. congrats to your friend! But, I bet she was shocked for sure. What a blessing in disguise!

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger Lioness said…

    I just hope everything goes well for her now. A boy and a girl, I am envious!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home