Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Friday, May 13, 2005

The things that still hurt me


Yesterday I went out for lunch with my Mom and my sister. We were talking about the pregnancies (seems to be the only topic these days) and we were commenting that my two cousins who got married in October are also planning on having children soon.
My Mom said she had been with one of them the other day and she said she had stopped taking birth control 2 months ago and was “doing everything” to get pregnant. I can only presume that “doing everything” means having sex at this stage. The expression kinda irritated me but I ignored it.
But then the conversation continued

Mom - “Poor XXX (cousin’s name)! You two (my sister and I) are the lucky ones!”

Me (failing to keep my mouth shut) – “Excuse me? How am I the lucky one?”

Mom - “Oh, come on, you have a child and you got pregnant so easily again”

Me (my blood was boiling by now) – “Easily? I lost a baby, I had a rare and serious condition that could’ve become cancerous, I had to wait for one year and you say it was easy?”

Mom – “Yeah but you got pregnant almost as soon as the doctor gave you the go ahead. And I’m tired of this conversation and you always playing the victim, you should be grateful for what you have and stop complaining”

This is when I wisely decided to keep my mouth shut before I say something I might regret.

But… come on, this just makes me so mad!! This girl has been married for 6 months, she is off BCP for 2 months and she gets the “poor girl” talk???
And me? Oh no, I should be grateful for what I have and I have absolutely no right not to feel terribly sorry for her.
I don’t want people to feel sorry for me, but I can’t understand that they think I’m horrible for not feeling sorry for this girl, and I can’t understand why they think I should forget about what happened already and just admit how lucky I am.
And this coming from someone (my Mom) who struggled with infertility for 7 years!

3 Comments:

  • At 1:50 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    Oh, wow, I would be so furious! (And I can see my mom saying something like that too!) Big hug coming your way.

     
  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger Martha said…

    Ouch.. that stung my friend! You have every right to your feelings! Some people really can be so insensitive!

     
  • At 10:52 PM, Blogger Lioness said…

    Yaiks. Oof, I'm sorry. Maybe it got too close to home? Nothing says it like a mother, bless them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home