Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Remember when I said I'm not a patient person?

aaa
You can't imagine how much it's killing me not to tell anyone about this pregnancy. I know why I can't tell anyone yet, and I won't until we have seen the heartbeat. But it is still hard as hell.

It's a selfish thing really. Saturday we went to a friend's house for dinner. She is 9 weeks pregnant and kept going on an on about how much weight she has already put on since this is her second pregnancy, how tired she is, how bad her boss reacted to the news, etc. And all I wanted to say was "Hey, look at me, I'm pregnant too". Why is it so hard for me to let her have her moment instead of wanting to steal the attention from her?
My boss' wife is pregnant too, and when I had just miscarried he came to me and told me not to schedule my vacations for the end of August because they were having a baby (he didn't know about the miscarriage). Now I am dying to tell him "Don't schedule your vacations for the end of October cause I'm having a baby too".

Why is it so hard for me to keep this a secret? Most people wait as long as they can before telling anyone. Most people wait until they start showing before they even consider telling their bosses. So why is it so damn hard for me?

Last night I was telling my sister in law who is a doctor that my friend is 9 weeks pregnant. She was wondering why she would tell people already when she isn't even 12 weeks along yet, that there is a significant risk of miscarriage until 12 weeks and she wouldn't recommend that her patients tell anyone before that. I told her I would wait until the heartbeat before announcing (hypothetically, of course, she does not know I'm pregnant).
My MIL was listening and goes: "But you must tell the family as soon as you find out so we can pray for you". And I almost told her right there! The only reason I didn't was because Zé Maria would've been upset that I broke our agreement. But now I read this and I am happy I didn't tell her. I think I will not leave the house anymore until we see a heartbeat!!

3 Comments:

  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Modokker said…

    Ana I can see why you would want to wait. After getting pregnant 3 years after my molar i startetd not feeling well and went in to see my OB. I was scared i had another molar. So at 6 weeks i had a quick U/S done and saw the fetal pole and it made me feel tons better. I didn't tell anyone either for weeks til after 12 weeks cause 12 weeks is when i found i had the molar before. You are just protecting yourself. I can't wait to see tht you've heard that heartbeat and can announce your pregnancy and start enjoying it like you deserve to.

    Hugs
    Lisa

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ana,
    Just found your lovely blog and have to tell you ... I'm having a tough time not telling anyone either! It's very hard, even though I'm post miscarriage too and DH and I swore we would keep our mouths shut this time ... it's also good to know I'm not the only one who is STARVING!! omg. I could eat all day !
    Much luck to you with this pregnancy :)

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Tiffany said…

    Ana~
    I wish you all the luck in the world. I pray this is the one. I don't want you to have anymore heartache. I can see wanting to tell everyone in the world, shout it from the rooftops but I understand waiting too. Men just don't understand how exciting this is for us. Try and hold off and just know that you have told us and we are praying for you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home