Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Monday, February 14, 2005

Inferiority Complex

aaa
This was not a good weekend. Friday night we got a message from a friend telling us she was pregnant again. She has a 1 year-old girl and apparently wasn't even trying for another one (of course not, if she were trying she wouldn't be pregnant would she?). What really pissed me off was that another friend told me she was kinda upset because she wanted to wait another 2 or 3 month.!

Then on Saturday we had a big party, 150 people, it was quite the event. I was actually looking forward to it. R was gonna spend the night at my parents and we were going to have a nice night out with our friends. But of course, for some reason every woman I knew in the damn party was pregnant. Ok, I'm exaggerating, there was one who wasn't pregnant because she just had a baby. I kid you not!

And to add insult to injury I spent the entire weekend with horrible nausea. I thought I had caught R's bug and would start vomiting and having diarrhea soon but thankfully it has been just the nausea so far.

So on Sunday morning I just lost it and laid in bed crying like a baby the whole morning. Zé Maria asked me why I always get so depressed when we go out with our friends when, in his opinion, it should cheer me up and make me feel better. My answer: because I feel inferior to them. I know it sounds bad, and ridiculous, but that is that. I feel inferior.

You see, most of my friends either stay at home (which is great, and I do respect that decision) or have jobs they don't care very much about. I have a job I love and, lets be honest, I make more money than most of their husbands do. But the problem is, we don't talk about work, we don't even acknowledge the advantages of having a career. We don't even talk about traveling, another one of my favorite things and something we do quite often.
No, all we ever talk about is pregnancy, birth, children, illnesses. And in that area... well, lets just say the fertility rate among my group of friends is above average. Most of them already have 1 children younger than R, some already have 2 and one is pregnant with #3 (yes, all of them younger than R, you read it right). So in this area I am ... behind, I guess. So to be brutally honest, I do feel better when I don't see my friends for awhile, at least for now. I know I have to fight this feeling. Zé Maria needs to go out with his friends, R needs to go to the park with other kids and I need to be able to enjoy the company of my friends. If only I would get pregnant already.

PS: R is much better now and she went to school this morning. She was so excited about it it was funny. She really hates being at home all day with the nanny.

7 Comments:

  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger Kristin said…

    Oh Ana...I am sorry things are so tough right now. I hope it happens soon for you.

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger Martha said…

    Ana,

    I have been thinking about my response all morning. Big hugs to you girl for realizing how your feeling and being okay with it. They are your feelings and right or wrong it's how you feel.
    I know exactly how you feel. I am often asked when we will be having another one and of course when I say we can't I get the pity look with the statement.. "Oh, I'm so sorry". Like it's a bad thing. HELLO.. I am blessed 10-fold no doubt in my mind! Right now you need to find some friends who can see beyond their bellies... There is alot more to life than that. HUGS my friend my prayers are with you.

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Modokker said…

    Ana,

    What you feel is normal. When you want to be pregnant you suddenly see pregnant woman everywhere or new babies. I am praying you will be pregnant soon. You can't be strong all the time so its ok to let go of that from time to time. A good cry is good therapy.

    Hugs

    Lisa

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger Lioness said…

    MY GOD, that is unfortunate! What are they, Catholics??? ;DDD No more jokes, you really are out of luck friendswise, what a fertile bunch, hell! You should hand out w my friends and I, all over 30 and only one had a kid. Imagine THAT. Lose them catholics! Ok, I can't seem to shake this topic. But look here, feelings are just that, feelings! They're never wrong or right, they're simply what one - duh - feels. May be it'd be good if you could enjoy your friemnds but right now you are NOT. And ZM's needs are important and I'm sure he suffers but he's not the one losing the blood and having the feelings and it is different. So make yoruself your firt priority and give yourself a little vacation. Do what you want to do, regardless of what you feel you SHOULD be doing. I CANNOT imagine being surrounded by pupping females in yoru situation. He may need his friends but you need your snaity more right? Besides - and here's a revolutionary idea for YOU CATHOLICS (I'm sorry, I apologise, I really am kidding, don't know what got into me, must have been the State/Church separation thing and the campaign being SUSPENDED bcs of mourning bcs Irmã Lúcia died - if it were a rabbi, I'd be having the same fit) - anyway, revolutionary idea: next time, let him go enjoy his friends and stay home, make some excuse - like nausea, stay home and enjoy the respite from overproductive ovaries and bellies. Truthfully, you're the one they should be canonising, I'd have wanted to claw their eyes out, friends or no friends how doe sone not take THAT personally??? BE KIND TO YOURSELF. You have the rest of your life to be their friend, you nee dyourself more now. BE KIND OR I'LL KICK YOUR PORTIE ASS. Done, everyone take a deep breath now.

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Blogger Lioness said…

    Er, turn my post into a game: "This typo means...?" (And they say God sleeps but seriously, some of my best friends ARE Catholics, easy on the punishment here.)

     
  • At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ana.....I'm so sorry that you spent the weekend not feeling well, and then being around pregnant women, when that is the one thing you want most in the world! Life is so unfair sometimes. Just know that I'm thinking about you, and hoping the very best for you soon!

     
  • At 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ana.....I'm so sorry that you spent the weekend not feeling well, and then being around pregnant women, when that is the one thing you want most in the world! Life is so unfair sometimes. Just know that I'm thinking about you, and hoping the very best for you soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home