Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Wedding - Season 2, Episode IV


You can imagine what the most discussed subject was during this vacation with the in-laws of course.
The Wedding was rescheduled for the 21st of October, which gives us one more week to prepare. And surprisingly enough, almost everything has been already settled. My Mom and my MIL finally found a good place for the reception (which my Mom says is better than the place of the previous wedding reception). They have a very acceptable price, but the number of guests will still have to be limited because my MIL had to ask my younger BIL for an advance to pay for the reception and he only has 5,000 euros.

My SIL’s attitude has changed for the worse and whatever sympathy I had for her situation is practically gone. She keeps complaining that the budget my MIL is giving her is half that of my other SIL, and yet she keeps forgetting that she announced her wedding a couple of weeks after the other wedding, with a 3 months notice. She also forgets that my MIL pays for her therapy, her daughter’s school, her groceries… Honestly, she is absolutely the most self-centred person I have ever known.
She is also still insisting on new dresses for the flower girls, and of course she’s always complaining that she has to pay for them herself (which my other SIL did too, but that means nothing to her, because she’s always the eternal victim). Zé Maria wanted to tell her we would not allow R to have a new dress, whether she paid for it or not, but I think I talked him out of it. I do see his point though.

What I haven’t been able to do yet is convince my MIL to buy a new outfit for this wedding. She is dead set on wearing the same outfit she wore to my wedding, 5 years ago. She says that if she has to ask BIL for money to pay for the reception, she will not spend money on a new outfit she doesn’t need. And I don’t think she will change her mind. The rest of the SILs haven’t decided what they’ll wear yet, but I’ll let you guys know when I have news.

FIL is still refusing to meet P until SIL moves back home, which is scheduled for the 30th of September. On that day, there will be an engagement dinner at my in-laws. That will be fun, and I’m sure it will warrant a good post on this blog. This situation caused some awkward moments, as SIL and P were spending the weekends at P’s beach house, which is on the same beach as the in-laws’. I can’t wait for this to be over.

Ok, I think that’s it for now. More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home