Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Work and stuff


I just realised I haven’t updated on my work situation for quite awhile now, and decided to write something about it. So here it goes.

As you may have noticed from the lack of business trips lately, things at work have calmed down a little. Summer is always kinda slow here and then it will start to pick up again in September. My boss is currently on vacation and his boss (the nice woman who told me I created a dangerous precedent by leaving at 7) is now very obviously pregnant and trying to slow down a bit (she’s 36 and apparently had been trying to get pregnant for quite awhile).

The promotions are now pretty much a thing of the past. Everyone in the damn office has already manifested their indignity about my non-promotion (the same ones, be sure, who would have clamed how unfair it was that someone who leaves at 7 gets promoted) and I’ve been assured time and again that I will certainly get the promotion next year. But all is nice and forgotten now.

As for me, I’ve thought about it a lot, I’ve taken my time to calm down and let my wounded pride heal and have come to a few conclusions. I’m 26 years old and have reached a rather enviable position in my career. I have more responsibility and make more money than most (if not all) of my (girl) friends. I like my job, I like the people I work with and, after 5 years, I know how things work around here, and people know how I work. And the office is a 5 minute walk from my house and R’s school, which is really a great thing. So basically I have to admit that this is a very good situation, and I shouldn’t let my pride force me into changing to something worse. Even the woman (the pregnant one) who hinted that I should start looking for a new job seems to have changed her position on the subject. So for now I’m staying here, doing my best as I always have (couldn’t do it any other way) and if I don’t get the promotion next year, then I’ll leave.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger L said…

    I'm truly glad things have calmed down and are stable for now. At least you have things sorted out and plans for the future.

    You know... I hope this woman is able to understand better what it means to have a family after her child is born. I guess those who haven't "been there" are unable to view the world the same way we do as parents.

    Now, if you don't get the promotion next year, well, then, it's definitely time you leave this company behind!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home