Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Friday, July 07, 2006

The Wedding - Season 2


The reason I haven’t been posting as regularly is, as usual, work. Between that, the children, and watching season 5 of “24” I just haven’t had time to write something remotely intelligent.

Anyway, The Family (if you can’t figure out who I’m talking about, read the Wedding saga) has big news. My oldest SIL, who has been “living in sin” (should read, living with her boyfriend not having married him) has been proposed to and will be getting married in October. That’s right, 4 months from now. Now how happy are you that there will be a second wedding saga for you guys to follow on my blog? And let me tell you, this one will be more dramatic than the last one.

So here’s the background: My oldest SIL is the black sheep in this family. She was a single mom at 21 and back then (I wasn’t in The Family yet) I’m told my FIL went a whole week without eating and had a nervous breakdown. This has been a defining event for this family. Just so you have an idea, when my MIL first met my Mom, the first thing she said was “You know about my daughter Maria, it’s a tragedy, but these things happen you know”. They always feel the need to justify it.
So last summer she starts dating this guy (will call him P) and within 1 month, she has moved out of my in-laws house with her daughter and P is living with them. You can imagine my in-laws reaction. They went nuts, they refused to meet the guy and practically condemned my SIL to burn in hell for all eternity.
Anyway, almost a year has passed and they’re still together. In January I finally convinced my husband to invite them over so we could meet him. And we liked him, a lot. And we started inviting them more often and we’re convinced he’s a wonderful person and he really loves her. And now they’re getting married.
About a month ago, when the rumours of marriage started, my MIL made a huge sacrifice (no irony here, it really was) and went to their house to meet P and told him it was nothing personal and they just didn’t agree with them living “in sin”. He told her he wanted to marry her and I think my MIL kinda liked him. But so far my FIL has never met him. He hasn’t even congratulated his daughter on her engagement. We’re all hoping he will meet the guy before the wedding, it would be rather awkward for him to give his daughter away at the altar to someone he’s never even seen.
P even suggested that SIL could go back to my in-laws house 2 weeks before the wedding so that things would all be “right”. And my MIL actually loved the idea!!!! These people are nuts I tell you, but they are sure a constant source of entertainement.
So get ready, it’s season 2 of The Wedding.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Timestep said…

    This sounds like FUN (not)!

    Congrats to your SIL - may she have many years of happiness.

     
  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger L said…

    Ana, this is such a funny, if slightly tragic, story!! I know your parents-in-law are in earnest in their beliefs about "doing things right" and properly, but it does make for very amusing reading...

    I'm sorry your old URL was taken, but glad you're still blogging!! (I was a bit worried).

     
  • At 5:08 PM, Blogger Ana said…

    Michelle, yes, it's the one who wore the pregnant dress. But I don't think she's pregnant though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home