Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Wedding - Part IX


At 2 pm on Saturday Portugal meets Iran in a soccer match for the World Cup. If you knew how obsessed the Portuguese people are about soccer you would understand why this is such a big issue for my SIL. You see, the wedding is at 2.30 pm, which means some people (I am hoping not too many) will skip the ceremony and meet us at the party, after the game. Now try telling this to a soon-to-be bride who has been planning said ceremony for 6 months…
Add to that the fact that yesterday it started raining like it hasn’t rained all winter, and there is no indication that it will stop soon, and you’ll get one mess of a woman who is convinced the world is conspiring against her.

Tonight we’re going to my in-laws for dinner, to make sure everyone remains calm (or at least under control) and to see if there is anything we can do tomorrow, since it’s a holiday here. Hopefully the weather will be better soon.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wonder how many people will have those little ear phones in so they can still hear the match and get to the wedding... Hope it goes well. I've enjoyed reading about the build up!

     
  • At 5:19 AM, Blogger L said…

    Oh my, I hope you can keep your SIL from completely despairing.

    Oh, soccer... you know, I got married on the day of the last game of the Brazilian Championship (Campeonato Brasileiro) - if my wedding hadn't been at 11 am [VERY unusual time for a wedding in Brazil at the time] and had a reception lunch right after, many people would have skipped the wedding altogether. As it was, many people left the reception early and I couldn't really finish my photo session with the padrinhos because everyone kept interrupting to say goodbye.

    Oh, yeah, I know about soccer and weddings, but... the World Cup?!! OMG - what a lack of luck, too bad weddings have to be scheduled WAY in advance and the Cup's schedule is ready only a few months before the event. I'd be ABSOLUTELY FRUSTRATED if I were her as well... If it were me in Brazil I'd probably have to announce to everyone that the wedding would be two hours late and make arrangements with the church, etc (which is impossible sometimes, I know). Nothing works in Brazil during a game of the selecao... only lone bus drivers with their radios in the last volume drive around the city with their empty buses. You'll get to see that, I guess in two weeks - what a joyous time to be visiting Brazil, during the world cup! How I wish we were there.

    Sorry for hijacking the comments!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home