Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Monday, May 15, 2006

Dreaming about Brazil


I’m sorry it’s been so long since my last update but things got complicated at work. On Thursday I had a meeting at 10 am which wasn’t over until 9.30 pm, then Friday we drove to Porto at 7 am, came back to Lisbon at 8 pm and worked until 4 am. So you can imagine how I was feeling on Saturday morning. We went to the beach both Saturday and Sunday, I rested plenty and am now starting to feel human again. But meanwhile a new week has begun and it’s not gonna be an easy one. If we close this contract, I swear I’m going to take a day off and spend it at the spa.

At home things are going well. Manel is going through a complicated phase, and it’s a bit tiring for us. He doesn’t sit up unassisted for more than a few minutes yet, but he doesn’t want to stay in his chair or bouncer anymore. He likes to be on the floor, but he rolls over and tries to crawl but hasn’t quite learned how to yet. Which means someone has to be playing with him all the time. This morning I remembered we bought an exersaucer when R was going through this phase and I got it out of storing. I hope it gives him a little more independent time.

I’m starting to worry about the trip to Brazil (Lilian, we are going to Salvador. We’ve never been there but I hear it’s lovely). This week I’m going to try to give Manel jarred baby food. He’s only ever had homemade food and R hated anything that wasn’t homemade when she was a baby. Manel has been an easier eater so far so I’m really hoping he’ll like the jarred food. Otherwise I’m going to have to find a way to make his food at the hotel or he’ll go a whole week on fruit, yogurt and cereal alone. I’m also worried about packing. We have to take the stroller, the bumbo seat and probably the pack ‘n play, and of course diapers, formula, etc. The first time R travelled with us she was potty trained and eating regular food so this is really a first for us. I guess I’m probably making a big deal out of this and in the end it will all work out just fine. I’m so looking forward to this vacation!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger L said…

    Salvador is BEAUTIFUL!!! It's one of my favorite cities in Brazil. I hope you get to visit the old churches and do some sight-seeing in spite of the fact that it probably won't be easy with the kids.

    The beaches are great as well, try to go to Praia do Forte - don't forget to see the turtles (they have a place where they monitor the turtles' eggs so they don't get extinct).

    I think you'll enjoy shopping for souvenirs and other things at the mercado modelo.

    Don't miss eating Acaraje (if you haven't already tried it in Porto Seguro) - I LOVE it (though I don't eat the shrimp sauce that goes with it - vatapa).

    Oh, Bahia... I want to go there again. (I only went there twice on the same year, the second time in my honeymoon - my husband lived ther for 5 years when he was a kid).

     
  • At 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, I like vatapá better. Yummy. I'm in Brazil too, but I move a lot since my dad is a military. Good luck with trying jarred food with Manel. I hated it when I was a kid. My mom said I'd spit it out and only eat home made food.
    I hope you have a great time here in Brazil.
    Hugs!

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger JoeinVegas said…

    The hotel doesn't have apack and play or something similar you can use? The rest of the stuff will have to go along - perhaps a cargo plane might be the way to trave.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home