Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Appointment update


So I had my OB appointment yesterday. Everything looked fine, my blood pressure was still low (this was worrying me, as last time it started to go up by the end of the pregnancy) and I have gained one pound since my last appointment (3 weeks ago), in a total of 16.5 pounds. She wanted to hear the baby’s heartbeat during a contraction, since I’m having so many lately, but of course I didn’t have any during the entire time I was there. Classical.
She looked at my chart and said that when I was 36 weeks along with R I had 15 pounds more than what I have now! I honestly can’t remember how I was able to work and even get out of bed back then.
She then started to feel and measure my uterus and she said the baby is now fully engaged and my uterus is measuring less than it was 3 weeks ago. That is why I have to pee every 30 minutes and sometimes it feels like something is digging its way out of my vagina, literally. She laughed and said she knows exactly what I mean and it must be funny when women try to explain that feeling to a male doctor.
She didn’t check my cervix, as it is still too early for this baby to be born and we don’t want to speed things up by messing around down there. But with this much pressure, I’m pretty sure it’s starting to efface. She wants me back on Monday, since Wednesday is a holiday here, and she gave me her cell phone in case something happens. We also tentatively scheduled one last ultrasound for the 13th to take some measures and decide on the vaginal birth vs c-section. She sounded much more willing to try a vaginal birth this time and I am so happy. I really hope I can do it, I’m terrified of having a c-section.

It was a good appointment and in a way I’m glad to start going weekly. I can’t wait to put this show on the road.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger JoeinVegas said…

    Enough already - can we start cheering 'push - push - push'?

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger Martha said…

    Awesome.. sounds like a great appointment! I cannot believe your due date is right around the corner INSANE! Whoa.. time sure does fly bye.

     
  • At 3:48 AM, Blogger K|nneret said…

    Yay! You're so close now :) What a great appointment!

     
  • At 5:03 AM, Blogger L said…

    I finished reading the archives, now I'm all caught up!! Que bom!

    I *really* hope you can have a vaginal birth, this was my greatest fear with both my boys -- having to have a C-section. Do lots of people have C-sections in Portugal? In Brazil over 75% of births are, people just request it, and I guess the doctors may push it on people too... I think that's AWFUL (I really like how here in the States there's much more "support" for vaginal births). Ok, enough commenting for now :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home