Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Thursday, July 14, 2005

How do you hide a pregnant belly?


We may have a problem. Apparently, the company we are travelling with to Brazil has been requesting that visibly pregnant women have a written consent from their doctor saying that they can fly. This used to be their policy only for women in their third trimester but it now seems that as soon as you start showing they ask for it, just in case you’re lying about how far along you are.
I didn’t ask my doctor for a written consent in my last appointment; although I did tell her I was travelling and she did say it was fine. Now she’s on vacation and it seems no other doctor will accept that responsibility, not even a friend of mine’s wife. I did eventually convince my sister in law, who’s a dentist, to write me one and just say she’s a doctor, omitting the fact that she’s a dentist. She can’t, however, omit the fact that we share the same last name, so I’m hoping the airline won’t give me a hard time about it.

Anyway, just in case, last night I tried on all of my mom’s clothes trying to find which outfit will better disguise my belly, without making me look like I’m wearing a tent. We’ve finally decided on a tunic which I’ll wear over my jeans. It does make my belly look significantly smaller but it is still there. So I’ll have to rely on SIL’s consent as a back-up plan.

Only two more days before we leave.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    Just tell them you're fat. Seriously. There are plenty of women who get asked, "So when are you having that baby?" and they AREN'T. Act offended.

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Lioness said…

    Tell them it's NOT funny to make fun at the expense of Oskar, The Cyst.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home