Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Monday, June 27, 2005

I love him, what can I say?


My husband did something really stupid this weekend. While he was strapping R into her carseat he left his wallet and his PDA on top of the car. He then forgot them there and we drove away. He didn't even remember them until 4 hours later, when we went to get ice-cream and he asked me for his wallet (that he usually puts in my purse, along with the PDA so I can carry all the weight).
When we got home the wallet was inside our mail box. Apparently, this nice woman found it on the street near my parents' house (which is 5 minutes away, I have no idea how it didn't fall out sooner), she looked in his drivers license, found our address, drove to our house and left it in the mail box. How sweet is that? Even the money was there! I don't even want to imagine how much trouble it would be if he had lost his wallet. It had his drivers license, social security card, identity card, credit cards, health insurance cards,... you get the picture.
The PDA however, since it was on top of the wallet, must have fallen out just outside our garage (assuming that if it had fallen inside our garage, the neighbor who found it would return it...). This was my Christmas gift to him, it was a last model PDA, with cell phone, wireless internet and a bunch of other stuff. And it cost me €669 (about $800). Let me just say he was not happy about loosing it.

I am going to buy him another one today. I'll have to do it while he's at his soccer game because he doesn't want me to buy him a new one. He says he was irresponsible (which he was), and careless (like wise) and he doesn't deserve another one (that's where I don't agree with him). I know it's a lot of money, and I know with the trip to Brazil, the remodelling of the bathrooms and all we're not exactly rich at the moment. But he liked it so much, and he used it all the time, and he was so sad. How could I not give him another one? It broke my heart to see the look on his face when he realized he had really lost it. I didn't even hesitate; I decided immediately that I was getting him a new one. Do you think I'm wrong?

3 Comments:

  • At 6:31 PM, Blogger Martha said…

    I would say you have one lucky DH!! But I also think your DH is one great guy... to admit he was irresponsible and careless is HUGE!!! Most men would demand to go get a new one and use it as an excuse to get an even newer better model! LOL!

    Girl.. if you can afford it.. go get it!

     
  • At 3:58 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    No, I think you're such a sweetie! I find it's much easier to spend money irrationally on Cait than it is for myself, so I understand. I hope he enjoys it, and is so grateful to you!

     
  • At 4:37 AM, Blogger L said…

    It feels "funny" to comment on old posts, but I just had to do it! Ealier this year the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine in Brazil (losing his wallet and PDA)!! Trouble is, he never found them again. He's from Chile (but was raised in Brazil), married with a Brazilian (they have 2 kids slightly older than ours) and they were travelling to Chile the next day, but had to postpone the trip for 2 weeks until he could get his documents redone!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home