Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Thursday, March 10, 2005

And suddenly her life changes.

aaa
I think R understands what's going on much better than I expected. A few days ago we told her Mommy had a baby in her belly but I seriously never thought she would understand. She thought it was funny, she said she had one too and then went back to playing with whatever she was playing before. And that was pretty much it.

Yesterday my housekeeper went to pick her up from school and the teacher asked her if R was going to have a sibling. Apparently R told her Mommy had a baby in her belly. And all of sudden she started talking about the baby as if it was a concrete reality to her. Honestly, I'm scared.

I'm scared because R herself is still a baby and I'm afraid she will feel like her place in this family is being taken away. I wasn't expecting to have to start getting her used to the idea until the Summer. She will be 6 months older by then which really makes a difference at this age. I was planning on letting her be the baby in the family for a lot longer. Now I'm thinking that maybe we shouldn't have mentioned it in front of her.

But it's hard, if not impossible. You see, she spends a lot of time with my parents. They live 5 minutes from us and they come to see her almost every day. And she sleeps over at their house about once a week when we go out. They are really important in her life. And now they are going to have 2 more grandchildren at the same time. It's inevitable that she will hear about it, about Mommy's baby and Aunt Marta's baby. But she still sees herself as the baby and I'm afraid of what all this sudden change will do to her.

I had hoped that my sister would get pregnant earlier and that she would get used to her baby cousin before she had a sibling. It would be like kind of a training. This cousin would divert some attention from her but not entirely. Now she will have a cousin and a sibling at the same time. My poor baby!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Martha said…

    Hugs.. reassure R that she will always be your baby too! Keep talking to her about sharing the love. Don't worry she will adjust really well! Hugs My friend!

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    You know there's plenty of room in your heart for all the babies you ever have, and she'll learn. Also, she knows, but she doesn't really "know". You'll have to tell her again and again... and then the baby will come and she'll REALLY learn. Have fun!

     
  • At 11:12 PM, Blogger K|nneret said…

    I have no wise assvice for you, thank heavens. Just love your daughter as you always have :)

    Thank you for your kind comments on my blog - you were right - all is well!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home