Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

We're leaving on a jet plane.


It seems our plans of going to California in April are moving along! We have book the flights. We are flighing from Lisbon to San Francisco on the 9th, via London (I'm sorry Michelle, it seems like we will not be stopping in NYC afterall) and then we are flighing back to Lisbon from L.A. on the 17th, via London again. We are going to book one night in each city and then we will leave the rest of the week open.
The couple who is/was coming with us is starting to have second thoughts about it. They have 3 kids under 4 and it's not easy leaving all of them with the grandparents for a whole week. Yes, there seem to be upsides to only having one child afterall. We are not to concerned that their not coming. In fact, I think I would like to go on this trip alone with hubby and it would certainly make it easier for me to meet some of my online friends I have been so looking forward to meet in real life. We would spend more on the car rental and fuel but if the dollar keeps going down (or the euro up, depending on the perspective) we should be ok.

I just wish all of my american friends could come to California too. A MGW III or IV (I lost count already, can you believe it?).

Can you tell I'm really excited about this trip. I love travelling, I love planning it, dreaming about it, counting down the days. I love getting to know new places and then I love coming back home. Last year we went to Cuba 2 weeks after my first miscarriage. Zé Maria planned and booked everything while I was having my D&C because they wouldn't let him in with me and there was a travell agency next to the hospital. Hopefully this time we will both be in better spirits during the trip. Maybe we will even be pregnant, who knows.

9 Comments:

  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Martha said…

    Ana.. What and exciting and fun trip you have planned. I only wish I was still in San Diego so we could meet up too. There is so much to see and do, you'll need a vacation from your vacation! Keep us posted on your travel plans!

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Lioness said…

    Who knows! I hear the Californian air is very, er, impregnating. And what am I doing checking your blog instead of studying microbes, huh??? If I fail, I'll blame YOU! V happy w your news, fly away, FLY AWAY!

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger sweetisu said…

    Sounds like great fun!!!!!
    It's a shame we won't be able to meet. We'll be in CA in mid-Feb.

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger Kristin said…

    Yes, I did find your blog through J's blog. And, I firmly believe you are a much better writer than you believe you are. I hope you have a fabulous trip and find yourself successfully pg soon.

     
  • At 12:59 AM, Blogger Lioness said…

    Ana, amanhã na TVI, no Jornal Nacional, dá qualquer coisa sbr mulheres que querem ter filhos e não conseguem por causa de uma qualquer doença que eu já não fui a tempo de apanhar, e que por isso têm que gastar muito dinheiro. Não percebi do que se tratava mas como pode ser sbr infertilidade decidi deixar o aviso. Beijoca.

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger Ana said…

    Obrigada pela dica J.

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger JoeinVegas said…

    Oh, San Francisco in April - be sure to dress warmly. And what are you planning on doing there? Have you maps and ideas and routes layed out - things to do and see? When travelling we always think back on movies of places, and go to places we've seen to find out if they are really like that.

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger JoeinVegas said…

    San Francisco sites depend on whether or not you have a rental car.
    If not, then there are enough things right in the city to keep you for a week. Of course there are the cable cars to ride, and the fisherman's wharf area. Also go up the hills, down to Golden Gate Park and even a boat trip out to Alcatraz. There are not many museums in SF, but lots of big city activities.
    If you have a car then a short drive over the Golden Gate Bridge would bring you to the coastal redwoods. Muir Woods National Park is close by - http://www.nps.gov/muwo/ and really worth spending at least a half a day. These are impressive trees.
    Another day could be spent going up to the Napa Valley wine country area. Compare California grapes with those from Portugal.

     
  • At 9:14 PM, Blogger JoeinVegas said…

    Wow - SFO to LA in one week - it took us four days just to do a nice drive from LA to San Francisco up the coast - there is so much to see on the coast drive. It's about 400 miles driving between those cities on I-5, the fastest way. That alone will take a day just going quickly. So spend two days in SF just in the city, drive the coast route staying a night midway, maybe Morro Bay, then on to LA for another two days. It will be too cold for swimming on the beach, but it is gorgeous to look at and walk on. (sorry to fill comment space, my email system here would not let me mail you directly).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home