Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Monday, January 31, 2005

Praying


Last night as I was preparing to got to bed I decided to open my bible and read a few lines. I hadn't done that in such a long time and I vaguely remember it used to help me alot back in my African days. I do go to church on Sundays and we do pray together every night but I have been too lazy to actually open it up and read from it. It's not an easy book, certainly not an entertaining one. And lately I have been more into light and entertaining reading.
Anyway, as I was turning the pages I found an old card a friend of mine once gave me with a prayer. I always keep things like that inside my bible. I have read this prayer a thousand times but it never moved me as it did yesterday.

One night I had a dream. I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Across the sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand: one belonging
to me and the other to the Lord.
When the last scene of my life flashed before me, I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that many times along the path of my life there was only one set of footprints.
I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in my life.
This really bothered me and I questioned the Lord about it:
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life,
there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me."

The Lord replied:

"My son, my precious child, I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."


I think this last year certainly qualifies as one of my lowest and sadest times, and it really helps me to believe that I am being carried through it.


Disclaimer:
As you've probably figured out by now I'm a Catholic. I take my religion seriously and try to live according to it, but I know most times I fail miserably and therefore I abstain from judging other people. In other words, I am not a Chroll.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Lioness said…

    OMG, now I feel terrible! Being a Christian is not automatically being a Chroll. I truly do NOT care what religion people have or don't have as long as they are decent human beings. When I rant abt Christians it's the Chrolls I mean. Mind you, I also rant abt Jewish trolls, Jolls came out in force w the wave, it having happened because - brace yourself - it was a warning from [our] God. Can you imagine? The Jewish God is actually a little piece of shit and resorts to using hundreds of thousand of gentiles to warn US. That's what the Orthodox have been saying and I have been fuming, only you haven't seen it bcs it happens mostly in Jewish blogs. But I feel ashamed when I hear such things, it's disgraceful and disrespectful of all of us. I don't care what religion people are, just don't a) shove your choice down my throat and b) do NOT choose fanaticism over empathy.

    I do have a slight problem w the Catholic Church personally but that's what it is, personal, and it wouldn't cross my mind to belittle your choice. I don't feel offended that you like it, please don't be offended that I don't. I am actually happy that people like you derive good things from it. Faith can be an amazingly uplifting thing if handled with care.

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Ana said…

    Oh no J, I didn't mean it like that at all. I know you were not implying that all Christians are trolls. But there are those who are in fact trolls, and can be the worse trolls of all kinds. The one who attacked Tertia was incredibly cruel and I was trying to let my readers (if there still are any) know that I do not identify with her or any other Chrolls in any way.
    I actually think the word Chroll is a great one.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home