Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Monday, October 29, 2007

Big changes

As you might remember, I work in Mergers and Acquisitions in an investment bank. Our M&A department has 6 teams (one for each sector) and my team, Food & Beverages, is composed of 4 people – my boss (FS), a girl who’s a bit more senior than me (MJ), me and an analyst (IM).
Basically when a project comes in it is attributed either to me or to MJ and then we both work on it with FS and IM does the “dirty work” (powerpoint, etc). The difference between me and MJ (other than the pay check, of course) is that she is more independent than me, so when a project is attributed to her FS is less involved than when it’s attributed to me.
Well, today I am told that MJ is leaving and that a new, younger analyst will be recruited. So the idea is that I take MJ’s place, in that I have to become more independent and take my projects practically on my own, IM will slowly take my place, by having projects of her own she will take with FS, with more involvement from his part, and the new analyst will do the “dirty work”.
This is good news, of course. I got the promotion I was expecting last June and they seem to be happy with my performance. I thought their reaction to MJ leaving would be hiring a new senior to take her place but no one seemed to even hesitate that I could do it. And I can see a new promotion in the near future. That’s good.
The only down side is that I had planned on going of birth control next month, and now I will have to reconsider, and postpone that decision for awhile. I know there is never a good moment work wise but there are definitely terrible moments, and this is one. I’m just hoping a couple of months will be enough to get everything on track.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:18 PM, Blogger JoeinVegas said…

    A promotion! Great! We knew you could do it! (welcome back, missed you)

     
  • At 4:09 AM, Blogger L said…

    Congratulations! I hope things get back on track soon and you can start thinking of #3. I wish I could... :( (my husband doesn't want another one).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home