Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Wedding - Part II


The wedding preparations and going along.
I lost the flower-girls dresses fight and it seems the poor kids are indeed going to wear a white dress with a brown/gold waistband. I was thinking more in terms of yellow or turquoise, or even white with a yellow or turquoise waistband. But white and brown? What can I say? I will post pictures as soon as R’s dress is ready.
I did, however, manage to convince them not to print the invitations at home, and actually have a professional make them. Win some, lose some.
These people, coming from such a big family, are obsessed about saving money. Flowers, as you probably know, are an expensive thing (at least here they are), and my SIL was livid when they told her a tulip bouquet would cost her 75 euros. She says she’ll make her own bouquet and she is also planning on making the centrepieces herself. One more thing I’ll try to talk her out of.

One major problem with this family is punctuality. Now, I admit I am a bit anal about this. I. Hate. Waiting. But most of all, I absolutely hate making other people wait. Hate it. But my in-laws are always at least 1 hour late for everything and several of my SILs and BILs are often sleeping at 2 pm when we get there for lunch on Sundays. It’s ridiculous.
The wedding is at 2.30 pm (a very bad time, if you ask me, but I lost this one as well), which means the photographer will be at my in-laws at 12.30 pm, which means everyone will have to ready by then. By everyone, I mean MIL and FIL, 5 SILs, 3 BILs, 3 grandparents and my niece. That’s 14 people. Do you know at what time the first person has to start taking a shower? Why doesn’t anyone else seem to be worried about this?

Of course, I’m the one who’s taking my SIL (the bride) to the hairdresser that day (my hairdresser, I don’t trust anyone else), and I want to be there at 9 am. She could come to the house, but with 7 other women there, it’s too much of a risk.

To be continued…

2 Comments:

  • At 12:38 AM, Blogger L said…

    WOW, this is certainly going to be an adventure!! And plus, it'll make for *very* enjoyable blog reading for sure :)

    At the FOUR weddings I went to last Dec/ Jan in Brazil the problem for me was all the money spent on renting tuxedoes for the boys and my dress (you may remember the story - particularly the awful mirror breaking detail)

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "I. Hate. Waiting."

    Me too! And HATE making people wait for me as well. Argh.

    Now, white AND brown? Lovely, simply lovely. Couldn't be more flabbergasted.

    Lioness

     

Post a Comment

<< Home