Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Ok, ok, here's the update! Geez!


So she checked my cervix, which as I expected was truly uncomfortable, to say the least. By checking my cervix, I mean she inserts several fingers up you know where to see if I’m dilated and/or effaced and to try and feel the baby’s head. I’m not significantly dilated or effaced yet (I was really disappointed, I thought this birth was imminent) but she did feel the baby’s head and she did agree to keep the scheduled date.

The plan now goes as follows: I have an ultrasound on Thursday to measure the baby and estimate his weight. Then on Monday I am to bring to my appointment both this ultrasound and the one I had with R at 38 weeks to compare them. If the baby is bigger than R we will go for the c-section, if not, we will try another vaginal delivery. She’ll then call the hospital to let them know which type of birth we chose and on Tuesday I’ll be there at around 10 am to get this show on the road.

I know it’s not as romantic as not knowing when you’ll go into labor and then having your water break somewhere really embarrassing and breaking every speed limit to get to the hospital, leaving your husband in a panic mode and probably ending up having the baby in the elevator, with no epidural or any drugs whatsoever. But for some strange reason, I prefer it this way.

On Tuesday we will wake up at our usual time, we’ll have breakfast as usual, we’ll both take R to school and the we’ll go to the hospital where the staff will be waiting for us and hopefully everything will happen as it did last time… no stress, a nice epidural and 3 hours later the baby will be here. Now that sounds romantic to me. What do you say?

2 Comments:

  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger L said…

    Well, it sounds like a plan. Are you going to be induced? Well, I do hope that you don't need to have the C-section. Either way, I'm sure everything will go well. Keep us updated!

    Was R's birth like you described (unexpected/ "surprise" date/water breaking, etc...? )

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger JoeinVegas said…

    Good luck. None of it sounds like fun to a guy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home