Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

ER


Yesterday we had our first trip to the ER. R has been running a high fever since Friday and has the most horrible cough. When I got home for lunch yesterday she could barely stand up so I decided to take her to the Children's Central Hospital.

Thankfully, my SIL is an intern there and she was coming off work when I called her so she said to meet her there and she would see her. If it wasn't for her we would have waited for hours on end in that hellish waiting room. I honestly have nightmares with this waiting room from when I was a child and use to spend days there (I have asthma). It seriously has not changed one bit.

So they checked her ears and throat just to be safe but we knew from the beginning it was respiratory. She had a chest x-ray and I was in the room with her. Nice, now I have something to totally obsess about in case I'm pregnant. Why oh why did I not remember to ask my SIL to go in with her? It didn't even cross my mind to leave my baby for a minute. At least I did stand behind a copper wall during the actual radiation.

Anyway, I digress. As I was saying, after the x-ray they had her do 3 aerossol treatments before they let her come home. In between the treatments they listened to her lungs until they decided what they were hearing was compatible with her coming home. I will have to do aerossol treatments on her every 6 hours for the next 5 days, give her cortisone drops every 8 hours for 3 days (not so sure I will do it for 3 whole days yet, I hate cortisone) and an antibiotic every 12 hours for 10 days. This kid had never been sick until last December and now this.

She was, of course, doing so much better this morning. No fever and she was back to her old self, doing aerossol treatments on her dolls. She is constantly begging me to take her to school but this time she will stay home for a week. Lets hope this is the last episode this winter. I am having horrible flashbacks to my critically asthmatic days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home