Lisbon Mama

A portuguese mom parenting two

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Good news and bad news

aaa
Good news

The baby was apparently healthy, moving around like crazy! We saw the heartbeat, and all the body parts were where they should be. Everything was measuring right on target for 12 weeks 4 days.

After a while the doctor focused on the "private parts" and he said he could see something in there. And so could we, it was pretty clear. Zé Maria asked him if it was a boy and he said he had not said that yet but there was definitely something there. So we might be having a boy!! I had no real preference but I am happy with the idea of having a boy. We won't start shopping just yet though.

Bad news

The placenta is partially previa, which means it is partially covering the cervix. He said in most cases it moves up but that I should avoid picking up heavy weights (Rosarinho, specifically) and no intercourse until the next ultrasound. So now I'll spend the next weeks, at least, telling R I can't hold her and telling hubby I can't have sex with him. That should be fun!

The nuchal translucency was 2.4 mm. The normal range is below 2.5 mm so it is borderline. The doctor told us to talk to the OB about the possibility of having an amnio to rule out down's syndrome.
Zé Maria and I talked about it. I'm only 25 and I have no indicator for down's so the risk of having the amnio (1.5% risk of miscarriage) is actually higher than the risk of down's, even with an almost-abnormal-but-not-quite nuchal translucency. And besides, even if the amnio ended up showing the baby has down's we would do nothing about it, other than try to be better prepared to care for him. So we decided against it.

I'm pretty calm about both these "bad news", but I admit I was hoping I would be able to finally breathe deep and fully enjoy this pregnancy. I should've known better and guessed I would have to wait until the baby is born.


PS: We have a new Pope! Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Benedict XVI. I must admit I wasn't expecting someone so conservative and so old (78) but I have faith that God will guide him.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    Hooray for the good news but I am sorry about PP and the borderline NT. It's not fair that you keep getting more stuff to worry about. I'll be thinking of you!

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger Lioness said…

    That borderline NT is still within normal range, so I'm hoping that's all it is, borderline. All in all, it is good news! Yey!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home